Thread: sea anchors

Question sea anchors

what kind of sea anchor do you reccomend for a contender 31?

parachute type anchors with a billion lines only look right the first time out the bag. After that, good luck untangling them.

Wave Tamer has a 4 line system that "snaps" open. We have fished the 6 footer on a 27 Conch and it worked great. The top of the sea anchor has a float that keeps the opening open. And it doesn't spin around and get tangled up.

You can do an online search or just find all the info here...

Wave Tamer - Saltwater Fishing Tackle

-Tek

The paratech parachute is hands down the most effective sea anchor ive used. The lines do get to be complicated but if you hang it when you wash it every time after you use it it it is managable. You've got to make sure to let out enough scope on the line when its nasty out, one day we were flying the Kites out front and it was like 8 foot on my freinds 27 contender and the abg started to point down when we took a big swell and it was holding the bow down while 8 footers were just dumpin over the bow. Of course we had fish on. Almost had to cut the main line ot keep from dipping the bow and sinking but we made it out. Now we keep the bag further away and we have been fine,
    BM
    Last edited by broadminded; 02-22-2007 at 01:05 AM.

The paratech parachute is hands down the most effective sea anchor ive used. The lines do get to be complicated but if you hang it when you wash it every time after you use it it it is managable. You've got to make sure to let out enough scope on the line when its nasty out, one day we were flying the Kites out front and it was like 8 foot on my freinds 27 contender and the bag started to point down when we took a big swell and it was holding the bow down while 8 footers were just dumpin over the bow. Of course we had fish on. Almost had to cut the main line ot keep from dipping the bow and sinking but we made it out. Now we keep the bag further away and we have been fine.
    BM

Sea Anchor: Your First Line Of Defense When Facing Heavy Weather

Captains Club

DO NOT get the Team Numark yellow drift anchor. After the fourth one we demanded a change.
    Buy Premium Drift Anchor at Team Numark

This is the one we have now and worked perfect for the last trip. It's weighted at the bottom and has a float on top for perfect stabalization.

Lindy Drift Control Magnum Series Drift Socks

We're in a 33' Hydra-Sports which is 8680 lbs dry I believe without motors; about >5 tons by the time she's loaded down.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Relentless33; 02-23-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless33 View Post
    DO NOT get the Team Numark yellow drift anchor. After the fourth one we demanded a change.
    Buy Premium Drift Anchor at Team Numark

This is the one we have now and worked perfect for the last trip. It's weighted at the bottom and has a float on top for perfect stabalization.

Lindy Drift Control Magnum Series Drift Socks

We're in a 33' Hydra-Sports which is 8680 lbs dry I believe without motors; about >5 tons by the time she's loaded down.

Hope this helps
    Right now I have the team numark premium series, it is pretty good.But it has only seen saltwater 3 times.

The best one is the one you leave at the dock. IMO.

I have used the numark premium for quite a while and it does the trick/is cheap in comparison. The first one I had lasted 2 + yrs and I have had my current one for almost a year. I know guys that have used 5 gal buckets

Hey Tek - got sold on the Wave Tamer at the MIA show. Didn't buy because "I know a guy". So before I order one from you - what size do you recommend? My boat is about 28' LOA, 9'6" beam, pretty shallow draft with big glass and hard top.

I bought a real parachute at a surplus store. It's so big it STOPS the boat Maybe too effective but it sure works and only cost about 20 bucks.

Captains Club

Quote Originally Posted by pelagic predator View Post
    Right now I have the team numark premium series, it is pretty good.But it has only seen saltwater 3 times.
    If it's yellow and has red straps with Team Numark written on it I would hang on to the receipt. Or if you got it from Bass Pro Shops it shouldn't be a problem: They said we were the sixth return that same week on the same sea anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by Enough Already View Post
    Hey Tek - got sold on the Wave Tamer at the MIA show. Didn't buy because "I know a guy". So before I order one from you - what size do you recommend? My boat is about 28' LOA, 9'6" beam, pretty shallow draft with big glass and hard top.
    We need to remember that when fishing, we are not in peril. If I was in the middle of the ocean, lost power while faceing HUGE seas, I would want a Paratech or Fiorentino brand as they are designed to save your life.

The larger Wave Tamer sea anchors might perform well in those same condtions but they IMO were not designed for that use. They are designed to be used while fishing. They are priced right and do the job for sure.

A Sea Anchor will never stop you dead in the water. Unless there's no current and if there's wind... there will be current. If there's no wind... a sea anchor for fishing is just about useless as it can't properly fill and if it can't fill, it can't stop you.

We usually have 2 sea anchors on the boat. A larger one to keep us pointed in the direction we want and a smaller one to make little adjustments with in heavy condtions. We usually only use the larger one for the most part and move it along the rail until we get the angle we want. Remember bigger isn't always better.

The 7 or 9ft might be the one to get if you were to just get one.
    Last edited by JahMussa; 03-01-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Yep - only looking to slow down the swordie drift. I'll call you.

I have a Paratech.

Works great bottom-fishing.

Easy to use, with no problems with tangled cords

So much useful information. I am very glad that I joined you!
    Last edited by Desy97; 11-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Thread Information