Squid

Default Swordfish Techniques

I just posted this in the swordfish conversation forum - after i started reading different threads, looks like maybe I shouldn't have, so here it is if any one can help thanks:

I have a question, Im a female angler who want to spook the heak out of my better half I have been fishing with my dad since I was 4 years old or so, but NEVER have had the opportunity to go swordfishing, now the boys are planning a swordfishing trip and I would like to have some knowledge and help with the catch. i have tried researching the web - but really can't find anything specific. I have an idea of where to or how deep to go, how to rig the squid and that we need the lights, but Im stumped as to what depths to have the lights, rigs and exactly what to have on there such as weight/sinkers etc. Please help!

I would suggest a 4 rod spread to start out. First start with you far ballon.
    attach squid and leader then attach your light, 15' from your light attach your lead with a number 32 rubber band. basically just hold the rubber band and spin lead around line and go back thru the loop at the top. make sure it doesn't slide. count out 100' and attach ballon with rubberband. let that one drift off the boat. Repeat this two more times one at 200' and the other at 300'. Some guys fish the same size lead. I start at 16oz and get heavier the deeper I get, this helps spead out your floats. Finally drop you fourth rod straight down off the boat (tip rod) this rod you can reel up and down from under the boat to 3,4,500'. I like to work the tip rod to get bites. I don't use rubberbands to attach lead and ballons I use loops but for now start with rubberbands and once you get a better feel you can try differt tricks. Hope this helps a little. Uncle buck posted a great drawing showing this. You could IM him and ask him to post it for you.

Grander

A pic of yourself would help tremendously!!

Amagansett means “place of good water” in one American Indian tongue, and for generations of Lesters who have lived here, it’s been true in the most literal way.

LIZ, sweatheart,

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! everything you could ever possibly need to know about swordfishing has already been discussed to death on this forum.

Just don't read anything Quack Quack posts and you'll be sure to catch'em.
    "The Sea Love Those Only Who Fear It"--KBYC-- Capt. Ken of the "NORSON"

Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    LIZ, sweatheart,

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! everything you could ever possibly need to know about swordfishing has already been discussed to death on this forum.

Just don't read anything Quack Quack posts and you'll be sure to catch'em.
    Amagansett means “place of good water” in one American Indian tongue, and for generations of Lesters who have lived here, it’s been true in the most literal way.

Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    LIZ, sweatheart,

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!
    Go on any of the 101 or 202 trip/seminars.

I have been unable to make them but it looks like they go over swordfishing step by step.
    "The Sea Love Those Only Who Fear It"--KBYC-- Capt. Ken of the "NORSON"

Quote Originally Posted by NightCrawler View Post
    A pic of yourself would help tremendously!!
    someones spending a lil too much time on the internet

just browse all the archived threads and you'll learn a great deal
    good luck

Squid

Jeez all, come down on a poor girl hard, makes me want to crawl into the cabin and not come out. LOL. But I cant if I do that then the bought will not leave the dock!

Sorry new to this went through a few threads maybe I should have searched further before posting, but no worries i will do my homework and guarantee you me that once I have my facts straight it'll be hard to find a sword angler like me! Heak, the boys now rather go fishing with me than most of the other boys, and I promise its not the looks its the catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really want to learn how to swordfish, go out with the guys and watch and learn. Hands on is the best way to learn. 4-5 rod spread, 2 of which should have live runners onthem, the rest squid. All different depths, 50ft-400ft. Once you find where they are hitting you shouldconcentrate on that depth. Now thats not saying stop varying your depth but havetwo or so at the samedepth. Youll get enough experience as you go out more and more.
    Rocc

Squid

Wink

The problem is the BOYS probably know less about swordfishing than I do, its just not the kind of fishing we normally do, our main catch has always been yellow tail (my favorite to date), grouper, snapper, mackeral, dolphin and my hubby loves dropping and bringing in sharks. The talk for the past 2 to 3 months has been swording and setting a date to go out there and just try it. I have spent the past couple of weeks nightly searching threads, different forums, googling etc. And yes, I find lots and lots of information, but then when I try to put it all together and figure it out I'm either overwhelmed or brain fried. I guess what I am trying to find is just someone to give it to me in leiman's terms, swordfish 101 - start with rod and reel, rig this way, sinkers, leaders, rubber bands, light here, ballons there, etc and drop to the diff depths. I really appreciate the pointers some of you have given me but I just feel lost wish I could picture it better mentally. It just really pisses me off that my dad was such a cuban that all i was able to learn (although he is a great fisherman and captain) was how to fish from a yoyo (finally got me a baitrunner and kinda learned how to fish with a rod but my yoyo is always on board once them yellowtail's start bitting I cant help myself), troll and be a heak of a captain. From him I learned how to navigate, I can navigate almost any where in the east coast, can read navigational charts and navigagte using those coordinances and a compass and use them versus modern day GPS' (Im not that old born in the 70's), although I know how to use those too Im somewhat tech savy. Heak at 6yrs old I could dock a 36' hatteras by myself at our home port (MOC, Miami Beach, FL).

Anyways, I will get this and once I do Im sure that I will do it just as good as anyone else, I have taught myself many more techniques when it comes to fishing and I will continue to learn and accomplosh my goal!

Wow - did I just vent my endless frusterations!

It does and will seen overwhelming at first. You know, everyone has to start somewhere. We were all once idiots when it came to fishing at one point or another. You should read articles in the magazines and rip them out for future ref. It takes time to learn and you will always be learning. One day you might have a great night and not know what your doing. The next night, you think you have everything worked out and get skunked. It happens. Take your time and learn right and try different things until U feel comfortable. Untill then, hope it works out and good luck.
    Rocc

Quote Originally Posted by LizAndre View Post
    The problem is the BOYS probably know less about swordfishing than I do, its just not the kind of fishing we normally do, our main catch has always been yellow tail (my favorite to date), grouper, snapper, mackeral, dolphin and my hubby loves dropping and bringing in sharks. The talk for the past 2 to 3 months has been swording and setting a date to go out there and just try it. I have spent the past couple of weeks nightly searching threads, different forums, googling etc. And yes, I find lots and lots of information, but then when I try to put it all together and figure it out I'm either overwhelmed or brain fried. I guess what I am trying to find is just someone to give it to me in leiman's terms, swordfish 101 - start with rod and reel, rig this way, sinkers, leaders, rubber bands, light here, ballons there, etc and drop to the diff depths. I really appreciate the pointers some of you have given me but I just feel lost wish I could picture it better mentally. It just really pisses me off that my dad was such a cuban that all i was able to learn (although he is a great fisherman and captain) was how to fish from a yoyo (finally got me a baitrunner and kinda learned how to fish with a rod but my yoyo is always on board once them yellowtail's start bitting I cant help myself), troll and be a heak of a captain. From him I learned how to navigate, I can navigate almost any where in the east coast, can read navigational charts and navigagte using those coordinances and a compass and use them versus modern day GPS' (Im not that old born in the 70's), although I know how to use those too Im somewhat tech savy. Heak at 6yrs old I could dock a 36' hatteras by myself at our home port (MOC, Miami Beach, FL).

Anyways, I will get this and once I do Im sure that I will do it just as good as anyone else, I have taught myself many more techniques when it comes to fishing and I will continue to learn and accomplosh my goal!

Wow - did I just vent my endless frusterations!

Good thing NC did not ask for more than a picture LOL

(finally got me a baitrunner and kinda learned how to fish with a rod but my yoyo is always on board once them yellowtail's start bitting I cant help myself),

Hey Liz a bait runner or yo-yo wont do for swords! it`s a whole different ball game ... think of a fish that can rip 400yds of line off a reel in seconds ... these fish have some awesome power even the small ones PUPS ... go to some tackle shops talk to some guy`s there .. crook &crook .or capt harry`s ... they can show you the tackle you would need ...one rod & reel set up could run over 1000 bucks cheap end .. another way might be taking a trip on the catch my drift in ft lauderdale ... which goes out on friday`s ...then you can see how it`s done ... I am also still learning and the guy`s on this fourm can answer lot s of questions ... I sure have picked up quite a few on this forum .. but I will be looking forward to seeing your pic with your first sword ! lots of luck ..

CONO!!!!!!! SWORDFISHING, WITH A YOYO BUT DONT FORGET, "THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA" GOOD LUCK! LIZ......
    Last edited by Disco Lady; 03-04-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Lady View Post
    CONO!!!!!!! SWORDFISHING, WITH A YOYO BUT DONT FORGET, "THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA" GOOD LUCK! LIZ......

You guys must be cuban! I one on the boat for abuela!
    Manny

Cuban....... Wajiro, cuban redneck ok "Get er Done"

Squid

LOL well something caught all of you attentions LOL. I dont plan on swording with a yoyo or a baitrunner. CUBAN , 100% blood, although born and raised in MIA, right out of the rickenbacker causeway and MOC where I had my second home on my daddy's 36 hatteras! The RODS and REELS we have, we do troll and fish other game fish like sail and Dolphins, we got a couple of 30 wides and what not. But some of you guys have Pm'ed me and given me some tips and have been willing to answer some of my questions! thanks everybody for the responses! Liz

For a very long time I was looking for information on this topic. Thanks to all!
    Last edited by Desy97; 11-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Thread Information