Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrelfish?

This was an old post, from October 2006 when I caught my first Barrels. I didn't even know what they were at that time.

It didn't qualify for an IGFA ATWR for several reasons: mainline too heavy, rig not approved, and left rod in holder. I now bring proper "IGFA legal" tackle, and will follow the rules of fighting it next time I find them biting. I've heard that someone from Virginia submitted a 14lb barrel for an IGFA record about 2 months ago. My average for the dozen or so that I've caught has been about 20lbs. So, I'm certainly going to be in contention for my own record if I can land one by the rules.

42#? Are you 100% sure it was a barrelfish? FishBase.org reports the largest published weight of Barrelfish at about 28lbs, although I have heard of some from the Bahamas that were just over 30. 42# seems like a awful big leap from what's known by science. But hey... I guess there are a lot of critters down there that we don't know everything about.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 10-03-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

100%. Not only did I weight the fish, but i weighed the meat once I had it cleaned so I could " properley distribute" the meat... and there was over 20 lbs of meat. I am positive that it was a barrel fish, I showed it to freinds, other capts at the docks and verified it with pictures on the net. I didnt think much of it because it was damn near the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. I almost released it but it was not looking to healthy and I figured it was going to die anyways. I might have a pic of it somewere.. I'll look for it but when we caught it we didnt pay much attention to it because it was on our last drop n we had a friend in from out of town who we really wanted to see a sword. We were actually pissed off because we though that we had a sword on but it tunred out to be the nastiest slimeest ugliest thing wed ever seen.

U B what you mean rigg not approved ???

Quote Originally Posted by broadminded View Post
    ...but it tunred out to be the nastiest slimeest ugliest thing wed ever seen.
    No argument from me about that!

Willi... IGFA does not allow more than 2 separate hooks on a line, which cannot be spaced close enough for the second hook to snag a fish that bit the other. I was using a regular deep-drop rig with 4 or 5 hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    No argument from me about that!

Willi... IGFA does not allow more than 2 separate hooks on a line, which cannot be spaced close enough for the second hook to snag a fish that bit the other. I was using a regular deep-drop rig with 4 or 5 hooks.
    I see most if not all my riggs are 3 - 5 hook riggs ... so my riggs with 18 inch spaces (hook to hook ) with 12 inch droppers ..probably wont pass either !

IGFA Rules, Page 155 of the 2007 Record Book:

Equipment Regulations, Section G., Number 3.
    "A two hook rig for bottom fishing is acceptable if it consists of two single hooks on separate leaders or drops. Both hooks must be imbedded in the respective baits and separated sufficiently so that a fish caught on one hook cannot be foul hooked by the other."

Tinker

The IGFA is pretty liberal with the snagging part of that rule. As long as the two hooks are not close enough together to tangle each other they let the rig pass.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    yo dog... I can't give away so much info on a public forum Check your PMs :lol:

And for others in my area... if you would like the #'s, please PM or send me an e-mail. I am willing to SHARE numbas with other deep-droppers.
    I know this post is from a while ago. However if you are still willing to offer some numbers it would be much appreciated. I'm just getting into deep dropping and fish out of Boca Inlet. I also sent you a PM.

Thread Information