Squid

Default Info on searching new grounds?

Hy guys,

in UK and first time on the forum. Have spent around 4 years looking at potential grounds in UK and now pretty sure of where the swords will be and when. Any hints on tackle and tactics?? Looking at a trip next year for a week or so living aboard. Available season based on commercial catches seems to be late July through September so too late for this season.

Any advice or info appreciated.

regards Stan

Try 800-2000 ft of water...

Squid and mackeral seem to work best but try get get 3 squids out in your spread...

10/0 offset hook with a light about 15 feet from teh bait.

Keep us posted.. I hope you get one.

I think in Jamaica Jerry does best on dead mackeral, so it all depends what kind of fish/squid are in the area. Also, I don't know what the bottom structure is like over there, but don't be afraid to try very deep waters, even deeper than 2000. I think 800-2000 feet is a good guess, but it really depends on the surroundings. If you know where and when they will be there, you should be able to get them. You may need to troll (No more than 4 kts). The most important thing is to patrol different depths, from the surface, down to maybe 500 feet. Use some electralumes (LP lights that cost about 40 bucks each) about 15 ft away from bait as Shark Tagger said, also try some with just a lightstick about 5 ft. from bait. Good luck!

Squid

Shark tagger / final point,

thanks for that, its the sort of info I`m looking for. Area we have in mind is well offshore, a mount rising from around 15,000ft to about 1500 / 1800 ft.
    LArgest commercial one from the area about two years ago was around the 800 - 900lb mark.

Stan

Yup, that's the spot.

Tinker

Stan: There were a few swordfish cought off the swedish coast (near malmö) in oct. They were cought less than a mile off shore in less than 100feet of water. www.fiskefeber.se "storvilt i öresund". May be of interest to you? If they swim in swedish waters, they must be around UK aswell!

Abosutely, they are highly migratory as the HMS permits suggest... get em skipper

Squid

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL
    Stan: There were a few swordfish cought off the swedish coast (near malmö) in oct. They were cought less than a mile off shore in less than 100feet of water. www.fiskefeber.se "storvilt i öresund". May be of interest to you? If they swim in swedish waters, they must be around UK aswell!
    David,

yes, noticed that on a UK forum yesterday. A member who had lived in sweden put a post up. See Bob@reefcat in the Algarve is also keen to try, with luck I`ll be fishing with him next autumn (oops , fall). Just keeping an eye on this forum daily and getting lots of good info on tactics and gear. Thanks again for the help and nice to see you all seem to have made it through Wilma relatively unscathed.

Stan.

Thread Information