Default Swordfish petition to ban swordfish imports

Looks like this is a good start to getting other countries to work as hard at catching legal fish as the US boats do.

FYI...

Atlantic Highly Migratory Species News
    NMFS Office of international Affairs announces receipt of a petition to ban swordfish imports from countries with commercial fishing technology that results in incidental mortality or serious injury of marine mammals in excess of U.S. standards. Please see that attached Federal Register notice and visit http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ia/docs/swo...tition_l-4.pdf for a copy of the petition. For further information, please contact Lekelia Jenkins at 301-713-9090 x131.

Slob

Yup, saw that e-mail this morning and it got my attention. Seems like a move in the right direction. If there are any downsides to it I'd like to hear them but it looks like a pretty simple decision to me.
    "Man Up" is not just a phrase.....It's a way of life.

Yep just got that email and was about to post it. Good stuff.
    "Put your buoys out... we're comin' in HOT!"

I would like Vinny and Ron to give us a whole picture look at this.
    Amagansett means “place of good water” in one American Indian tongue, and for generations of Lesters who have lived here, it’s been true in the most literal way.

I have been pushing for this for a long time, my problem with it is that the petition is being proposed by two private "tofu eating" green groups. The Center for Biological Diversity and Turtle Island Restoration Network and once they get what they want the aim is surely going to be turned on us.

The MSA has a provision to deny access to our markets to Nations that do not comply with "international" ICCAT conservation regulations. This does not include the self imposed regulations that NMFS has added to the list such as Circle Hooks, etc. that our Fisherman must abide by.

Be careful how you view this petition, when the word "turtle" is being used to restrict a fishery, it will fall upon all anglers in the end. I will do more research, but I would like to see this proposition based on the economic impact to our domestic fleet rather than the plight of sea turtles.

That is what I was thinking. Please let us know if we should get on board with this?
    Amagansett means “place of good water” in one American Indian tongue, and for generations of Lesters who have lived here, it’s been true in the most literal way.

If its the turtle people who you have an issue with, why not redo the petition in the name of BWFA, and strip out anything that is questionable and resubmit?

Wouldn't the end result be the same, that is a level playing field in the US swordfish market between US fisherman and foreign fisherman? Right now, US fisherman are forced to borne the high costs of environmental compliance, and are faced with downward price pressure from imports that are caught free of the regulatory costs. In fact the foreign fleets don't use Circle Hooks, turtle release devices, bird gear, etc. Nor do they have area closures and size restrictions.

Ole Machievelli once said the ends justify the means. I am not sure what the risks are to letting the turtle guys win this one.

As it sounds like you know the industry you also know that any time an enviro based group gets going they do not stop.

... Unless they run out of butyric acid bottles.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

I was bored one day and I read the entire history of Sea Shepard. Some stuff they did was good some just stupid. Except for a few times in the past the leader Capt LOL Paul always has other people do his dirty work. They sank a bunch of whale ships in port at different times. They sink and destroy any longline gear they see.They call it all illegal gear. A few years back while up in Canada a bunch of sealers broke into his hotel room and beat the crap out of him. They do have a boat in the Galapagos islands to keep LLing out of that closed area.

Thread Information