Captains Club

Default fishfinder/chartplotter

looking to purchase a combo unit - fishfinder and chartplotter. purpose is to deepwater structure fish up to 1200'. i like the furuno 7000f/nt with the airmar 1kw transducer. anyone have experience with this unit? specifically the fishfinder capabilities?

what fishfinder/transducers are you guys using to fish the deep drops? are you able to clearly determine the type of bottom you are fishing when probing depths 600-1200 ft. what size transducer do you use?

basically, i want to fish depths to 1200' and be able to define the bottom - anything to $5k is game. any feedback/information would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

capt nicholas nagel

Captains Club

I have the furuno 585 with the Airmar 1K xducer and high speed fairing block. Although it isn't a combo unit, it does paint the bottom quite well .... especially when you use the "bottom zoom" feature. Many of the units these days will interface with your gps .... just a thought.

I have a Simrad CX 44 display that will show GPS and chart data and works with a Simrad 1 KW ducer to show the bottom in 3 to 5000 feet. It is probably near your price point and has great features and display.

I think that most of the better machines will do a good job IF you have the right transducer. Consider a 1kw transducer a must. A good transducer will cost close to a thousand bucks, but it's worth it because the best bottom machine is worthless without it.

I like furuno for bottom machine.And a good 1 Kw transducer flush mounted in the hull.

Captains Club

Default Furuno

I have a furuno 1100 with a 1 kw trans.. Works fabously but the key thing is to mount the transducer flush with the bottom of the hull. I can read bottom at 35 knots

Thread Information