Tinker

Default What is the best fish finder/gps

I thought I would ask the experts what is the best unit, My boat is a 31" ocean Master, and the last time out my gps shot craps. I knew where I was at, or so I told everyone. I'm going to replace it, and would like to get the most bang for the buck. Your thoughts would be apreciated.

I have raymarine and love it, however if I were outfitting a larger boat furuno all the way. I had Garmin, it was at the shop more than on the boat, the newer Garmins may be better.

Tinker

Thanks, any particular model? I was leaning toward furuno

Captains Club

For GPS nothing but Garmin, For depthfinder nothing but furuno. I have 2 boats both have Garmin and furuno, have had no problems with any of the machines.

On big boat I have a furuno FCV585 with 1KW thru-hull and a 3206 Garmin and I love them, they are the most user friendly.
    Life sucks, and then you die

Tinker

Thanks Kyle I certianly need user friendly. Thanks for your time. I was thinking of coming out your way and chartering a boat. Who is the best sword capt? I know that is a loaded question.

I think that they are all OK- It depends on what features you like and how "into" electronics you are. Some are plug and play and some need a little more technical expertise but give you more performance. How deep do you want to see the bottom and at what speed? How big a transducer can you get for your boat? What kind of charts does the GPS use? Are you putting in radar and what are you going to use it for? I have a Simrad CX 44 display with 12 kw radar, chartplotter GPS and 1000 watt fishfinder and have a Northstar for back up. I had furuno before and looked at furuno again when I was buying these electronics to re rig and Ive seen furuno on other peoples boats. I like the performance and features of the Simrad better. I can see the bottom well in 4000 ft. I can see a solitary bird on my radar at a mile and a half. The C Map cartridges show good detail of the bottom and good navigation information. Less menus and more buttons to directly access different screens. furuno sells alot of equipment so I'm sure that you will get a lot of differing opinions. Any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Tinker

I'm Really not into electronics, I like things simple, I cant see a bird at a mile and half but I can see a boat at 2mi my gps is a garmin and fish finder is a furuno, I thought I would up date, and get the the best I could without spending a fortune.

Captains Club

Yes, there are better electronics then Furuno or Garmin, but I personally think they are easy to work with and give you the most bang for your buck.

As far as charters go the guys on this forum are as good as any, Many run their own boats; while some will show you the ropes on yours.
    Life sucks, and then you die

Tinker

I would prefer not to take my boat all the way to the east, I usually just charter a boat where I travel Keep the money in the family so to speak, I was thinking early March Or if I can get a permission slip from the wife maybe somtime in mid Jan

I've always been partial to raymarine - its really quality stuff

Tinker

Both Garmin and Furuno are nice units. I have worked for years with Furuno stuff and have very little to no down time. About 5 years ago we bought a Garmin 2010C with the black box sounder and has worked great ever since it was installed. The Garmin is probably a little easier to use, Furuno has just came out with all new stuff so they are now up to date. I think either are great units.

Tinker

Thanks Captpepin
    what is the cost, for the latest and greatest. and how is the weather up there?

Captains Club

Default Best gps

Northstar just discontinued there 6000i and you can buy the 8 in for1500. When you buy the gold plus navionics chart. you get the fish and chips chart for no charge. This is the finest bottom chart I have ever seen. It shows things that I never new existed and are on no one elses charts. I alse had a northstar 952 previous to this and never had a bit of trouble. I put it in the tower. On the rador, Furuno is buy far the finest and also the best bottom machine. I have a 1100 with a a1000 waht transducer and it is really great. hope this helps..AuSUM

I found the Furuno Navnet the easiest to use. We also have a 31' OM and installed the Navnet into the dash. I have pictures if you'd like to see. Not sure how to post them.

Tinker

Thanks for the info, Did you use a through hull transducer? What kind? Where did you put it?

Tinker

I'd agree with AUSUM that the Northstar is great but I think if you are looking for bang for the $$ I'd still be looking at the Garmin. How big of a screen are you looking for? For the Garmin they make the 4208, 4210 and 4212 the 08 is an 8" screen and the 12 is a 12"screen.

For the 4208 Bundle (GPS, Fishfinder and network for weather etc) no ducer or radar for about $2,700 the ducer and radar are about $1,100 to $1,300 more. If you search around the net allot you can find some nice prices.

Also last year I looked allot for a "smaller" (less expensive unit) for my 25 Seacraft and Lorance makes some nice units and the resolution on their screens are great. You will get a great bang for the $$ but I'm not sure if they are as dependable as the others.

The LCX 37c (8.4" screen chartplotter and fishfinder) is only $1,230 all you need is a radar and a ducer for about $1,300 to $1,800.

p.s. the weather is allot nicer today around 50 but about a 10 days ago it was never above freezing for a while

We also have a Furuno depthfinder and radar (both predating the Navnet and installed when we purchased the boat). We are not happy with the radar as it is an older model and not compatible with the Navnet so in the future we'll upgrade there and integrate the radar with the GPS. As far as integrating the depthfinder with the GPS, we haven't bothered to do so yet. In the center of the dash we have the Navnet and on the left side the depthfinder. Gauges on the right side of the dash and switches running vertically alongside the Navnet.

Tinker

I also have a 24' bay boat with a Lowrance lcx15c that I have happy with, On My OM I have ARaytheon sl70 Radar And a garmin Map 192c which Had a cable malfunction Which is why I want a back up. I also have an older furuno fishfinder I'm Not sure the model Right off hand. Since I'm going to have a Back up gps I thought I would get a combo fish finder/Gps. and up date. I dont have very much money In the boat so I can afford to up date the electronics and not be upsidedown on the boat!! I dont mean to go over board either.

Tinker

I just did a quick search and found North Star M84 Any Thoughts?

Captains Club

Default Northstar M84

I saw that boaters world had a clearance on that unit for 999.00
    There is very little about in on the web. One comment I found was that
    it was formally called Navman something. Which had me kind of nervous
    as they were known for cheap. It looks like Northstar and Navman
    are owned by the same company ??

I have 2 x Northstar M121 units onboard, also Northstar pilot and VHF.

Port machine handles echo and fuel management and the Stb. handles radar and plotter. There are way too many functions to list. I am happy with everything except the sounder past 2000'.

Best of:

Sounder - Furuno or Koden/Si-Tex (Koden invented echo sounders)

Plotter - Northstar contained unit, MaxSea program with PC assist

Radar - Furuno or JRC

Pilot - Simrad or Wood Freeman

VHF - Icom or Sailor

SSB - Skanti , Sunair, Sailor

Transducer - Airmar

Water temp. - ATA (no longer available), Furuno

Sat. Phone/Imarsat - Thrane & Thrane

These are the electronics I would outfit a 150' PLL with.

NOTE - Northstar and Navman are one in the same, it was a marketing ploy to make Northstar more pocket friendly in the USA. Navman has been faded out and the product line has been rebranded to Northstar.

Navionics recently bought Northstar from Brunswick and have added Simrad and Lowerance to their family of electronics.
    Last edited by Broadbill-Pro; 12-29-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Captains Club

Default chip

That Navionics fish and chip chip is a bathasphirac one and I have never seen anything else like it. Does anyone know anyone else who makes one ?

Tinker

well after all the input from you kind people and with all your experience I've decided that it is personel preference. each of you that answered my questions I say Thank you and cheers, happy new year. I'm going to buy a lowrance lcx28c HD. Since I like my lorance lcx 15c I figure the learning curve will be shorter. Later on I would like to update and get auto pilot. But thanks again, I still want to charter a sword trip. All I need is 7days notice and i'll be there, ready to buy the beer.

Captains Club

I have a Furuno Navnet2 and a Northstar on my 32 luhrs Open. The Furuno has a better interface to the other "network" componets (radar, sounder etc.) and lets you overlay them, but the Northstar is MUCH more intuitive to use and has better images and Navionics Charting capabilities. The Furuno radar, however, is the best hands-down. Good luck, I hate buying electronics anymore, always something 10 X better the day after you get it .

Thread Information